OF THE CHURCH COUNCIL
Lay Delegate to Annual Conference
Conference Reserve Lay Delegate
Building & Grounds
Building Committee Chair
Finance Committee Chair
Staff-Parish Relations Chair
Lay Leadership Chair
Lay Leadership Lay Co-Chair
Week Day Children's Ministry Board Chair
PROGRAM COUNCILS & COMMITTEES
Children's Council Chair
College & Career Council
Adult & Family Life Council
College & Career
Senior Adult Council
Mission & Service Team Chair/Co-Chair
Visitation and Evangelism Team Chair/
Worship Committee Chairs
Celebration Worship Team Leader
United Methodist Women Co-Presidents
United Methodist Men President
Ruth Ann Stockton
Janet & Don Stucky
Laura Morrison &
Connie Field &
Mary Alice Bloss
Judy Young & Laura Morrison
Members at Large
Class of 2012
Class of 2013
Class of 2014
Ruth Ann Stockton
Mary Alice Bloss
Dudley Brown Mariann Marshall
Responsibilities of the Church Council:
- The Church Council is
to provide the administrative and creative structure
for the First United Methodist Church of Tahlequah so as to accomplish our
mission of making disciples of Jesus Christ.
- To provide for planning and implementing a program of nurture, outreach,
witness, and resources in the church [251.1].
- To envision, plan, implement and annually evaluate the mission and
ministry of the church [251.1]
- Members of the Church Council shall be involved in the mission and
ministry of the congregation [251.5].
- The Church Council shall be amenable to and function as the
administrative agency of the Charge Conference [251.1].
- To meet at least quarterly [251.3].
- To review the membership of the local church [251.4a].
- To fill interim vacancies of lay members of the Church Council between sessions
of the annual Charge Conference [251.4b]. Members of Task Forces, Councils,
and Ad Hoc Committees fall outside this rule for filling vacancies.
- To recommend to the Charge Conference the salary and other remuneration of
the pastor(s) and staff members after receiving recommendations from the
Staff-Parish Relations Committee [251.4d] and the Finance Committee.
- To review the recommendation of the Staff-Parish Relations Committee
regarding provision of adequate housing for the pastor(s) and report the
same to the Charge Conference for approval [251.4e].
- To establish the budget on recommendation of the Finance Committee and
ensure adequate provision for the financial needs of the church [251.4c].
- The members present and voting at the duly announced meeting shall
constitute a quorum [251.6].
- To serve as an interpreter of the actions and programs of the Annual Conference and the
General Church [250.1c].
Numbers in brackets [ ] refer to
pages in The Book of Discipline of the United Methodist Church,
Summary of Responsibilities of the Charge Conference:
- The primary responsibilities of the charge conference in the annual
meeting shall be to review and evaluate the total mission and ministry of
the church, receive reports, and adopt objectives and goals recommended by
the Church Council that are in keeping with the objectives of the
United Methodist Church [246.3].
- The pastor is the Administrative Officer of the Charge Conference [245.0].
- The District Superintendent establishes the date [245.4] and shall preside
at the Charge Conference or may designate an elder to preside [245.5, 423.1].
- The Charge Conference shall meet annually [245.1].
- All members of the Church Council are members of the Charge
- May make provision for recognition of the faithful service of members of
the Church Council by electing them honorary members. An honorary
member shall be entitled to all the privileges of a member, except the right
to vote [245.3].
- May be convened as a Church Conference, extending the vote to all
church members present at such meetings .
- Elects the Church Council members upon the recommendation of the
Nominating Committee .
- No officer should serve more than three consecutive years in the same
- The Charge Conference shall in consultation with the district
superintendent set the compensation of the pastor and other staff appointed
by the bishop [246.12].
- Reviews and determines the acceptance of the conference apportionments [246.13] as a part of the total church budget approved by the Finance Committee and the
- Acts on the annual membership report and audit [246.14, 231].
- Building Committee responsibilities to the Charge Conference are given in
- Examines and recommends candidates for the ordained ministry [246.8-9,
306.3b], candidates for church-related vocations [246.10], and lay speakers
- Members present and voting at any duly announced meeting shall constitute
a quorum [245.6].
- See The Book of Discipline of the
United Methodist Church, 2000 for a more detailed
description of the Charge Conference.
in brackets [ ] refer to pages in The Book of Discipline of
the United Methodist Church, 2000.
To Church Home
February 17, 2012
by Susie Williams,